Tuesday, July 11, 2017

RunCam Split

I pre-ordered RunCam split from getFPV and bangGood. I just got the getFPV one yesterday. It is awesome.

By default it starts recording when powered up. It does not record when powered via USB.
On the RunCam3 with auto-record turned on it would record while charging which could fill up your SD card and overheat.

When power is lost it closes the file and only loses the last like 1.5 seconds of video.

With the auto-record and auto-stop defaults, I don't ever need to use the buttons.

The SD card locks in and can't open while in the stack. I don't mind this, I use usb to offload files.

If the SD card fills up it will put a message on the fpv view which could obstruct your view. I think this is fine. It doesn't completely block the view and a 32gb card would take over 100 minutes of video to fill.

The camera comes with 6 or 8 m3 hex head screws. So I can use the same m3 allen wrench on everything on my quad now. Every other camera seems to use phillips screw head.

There is an adapter to make the skinnier camera the same thickness as an 1177. It mounts great on a realacc 214 frame. No motors in the fpv view. They do show up in the HD view. I am trying to extend forward or raise the camera. Higher angle than 40 degrees might work. I don't want to fly that high of angle though. I like to land sometimes. 

I had to mount the RunCam split on the bottom of my stack and hgltech v5 f4 pro AIO on top of it because the aio has a big antenna connector on top. I had to make sure the usb is on the correct side so that the battery connector would not block it (coming down from above on the AIO). I used 25mm nylon screws coming from the bottom to the top. So bottom to top is: nylon screw head, 4mm frame, 2 nylon nuts, runcam split, 3 nylon nuts, AIO, 1 nylon nut.

I haven't actually flown with it yet but the FPV feed looks great so far. HD view looks great like RunCam3. I ordered a third Split already direct from runcam. I tend to over order awesome products. I have 4 of the AIO and 4 of the realacc frames.

Update 07/12/2017: I flew it last night and the footage looks great. The only small issue is the fish eye effect. I will try a gopro style lens and see if it gets better. It is mostly visible when on the ground. I crashed into a building and into the ground and the Runcam split didn't break. I was really hard on the camera ribbon cable when I was installing it bending it back and forth and yanking on it trying to get the board to fit under my flight controller and under my esc wires but it didn't break it.

Here is my flight video:
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=OLSS8HqvCkQ








No comments:

Post a Comment