Tuesday, May 23, 2017

RunCam3

I got 1 of the 2 RunCam3's I ordered. It is great. It is much lighter and easier to mount on my quadcopter than I thought it would be. It isn't like a heavy battery that you have to strap in for dear life. It is much lighter. Velcro can easily hold it in place. Here is the way I decided to mount it on my 2 quadcopters.


I crash landed directly on top of the camera 3 times in the first day and it is still ok!

5/27/2017 update: I've been flying and recording with the runcam3 on 2 quads and it is awesome.

WARNING! There are a few problems with the RunCam3 options / firmware they should fix. If you set auto-record, when you plug in any micro usb (power with or without data) to charge it, it turns on and starts recording. I came back an hour later and it was super hot. It was recording the whole time. It probably could have destroyed itself over a few hours from over heating if I hadn't come back.

Also I setup loop recording. The option is 3,5,10 minutes I think. I set 3 minutes. So every 3 minutes it writes out the video file. If it is running out of space it overwrites the oldest files. The problem is that the audio is broken after the first video it creates. So first 3 minutes have audio but the following video segments do not.

These 2 problems were even after I upgraded to the newest 1.1 firmware.

5/31/2017 update: I just received my second RunCam3. This one came with firmware 1.2. The first one came with 1.0 and I upgraded it to 1.1. I just tried to upgrade the first one and no upgrades are available yet. Soon I will test to see if the 2 problems above have been fixed in firmware 1.2.



No comments:

Post a Comment