Thursday, June 7, 2018

Pixy2 (CMUcam5 version 2)

Pixy2 just came out. It is a computer vision system. It can track colors, lines, and bar codes. I watched the videos and got excited. I ordered one, then another. They just came yesterday along with 3 small solar panels and 2 TTGO ESP32 LORA V2 boards.


I built a pan/tilt servo base for around $4.



So far I am pretty disappointed. The pan/tilt servos and Pixy2 program are programmed to follow an object of a set color. I trained it to track a white object and once it got a look at my ceiling it wouldn't look away. I understand that. So I trained it on a yellow object. It tracked that, and beige cover on my couch, then my skin, then something brown. I tried a dark red object and it locked onto my pink shirt. Blue worked the best. I thought I would be able to track objects with nice solid core colors because everything else is off color but it doesn't work.

I tried adjusting the color matching configuration but it didn't get any better. I have the newest firmware installed. Maybe with better lighting it works better. I hope to find a solution soon.

I ordered from Amazon. Some of the other distributors said they wouldn't have it in stock for a few more days and they were only receiving 25 at a time. So I seem to have gotten the first batch. At $60 it is cheaper than the older Pixy version $70. This one has a smaller lens and smaller board and is faster. Maybe it needs a larger lens to pick up more light and differentiate between colors.

Pixy2 on Amazon

I will keep trying. I've only played with it for around 2 hours so far. Let me know what you think in the comments




No comments:

Post a Comment